Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Heel Hell

Every morning for the last four months since my RT, I have been waking up to really tender heels. It's so painful that I have to literally tip toe my way through my morning routine.

...I've come to realize I have a rather low tolerance for pain...

I suspect it is the unfortunate combination of my increased mass, coupled with the fact that I hadn't exercised in a long while and the "intense" running we do during RT had caused this condition - Plantar Fasciitis.

Thank goodness it only last about maybe 15 mins or so when I start walking, after which the pain just subsides and goes away.

The crappy thing about this condition is that there's very little I can do to hurry the healing process. Meds (most likely painkillers) will only help relieve the pain for a while. Steroids can help to reduce the inflammation but has side effects over the long term.

So really, that leaves me with 2 options (short of surgery);-

(1) Total Rest - Which would be great but is, of course, practically impossible;

or

(2) Lose the extra flab - which is "do'able" but also quite hard since I can't run much.

This particular situation reminds me of a scene from the Simpson's movie - where Homer is smashed by a wreaking ball between a Rock and a Hard place.

Sigh...

No comments: