Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Post Mortem

I finally found time to do what I had wanted to do for the longest time – That is, to salvage data from my old laptop.
This was my very first laptop – an Acer Note Light. Powered by an Intel Pentium 133Hz Processor, it came equipped with a CD-ROM drive, an external floppy drive, 32MB RAM, on-board speakers and a 1.2GB harddisk. Accessories included a pseudo- black leather bag and a 28.8bps PCMCIA card modem.
It was considered to be quite an advanced laptop at that time, when most laptops ordinarily only had a Pentium 100Hz processor and 8MB RAM. Some low-end models were still using either 486 or 586 processor chips and running Windows 3.1.

The laptop’s in a pretty sad state now. Its battery is already leaking and bloated, a sure sign that it’s already dead. The screen is also busted – not sure why or how it did tho. There’s also visible rust on it connectors too.

It’s been with me ever since I went to Brisbane to study, so it contains all my files, emails, pictures, music, chat logs – pretty much all of my online/offline life during that time. In a way, I guess you could call it a sort of a time capsule of me.

I managed to have a quick look over the files. There’s about 2GB worth of it. There’s some that brought a smile to my face; some that I totally forgot that I had but glad I saved, and some that made me both happy and sad.
RIP pal. You’ve been a wonderful companion.

No comments: